Mold and mildew thrive in environments where there’s a low level of humidity, mostly in basements, the kitchen area or the bathroom. If you, like everyone else, spend a lot of time in these areas, it’s best to ensure that you won’t get a respiratory disorder from breathing the contaminated air. That’s why it’s highly recommended to remove any traces of mold and mildew or find solutions to prevent mold from developing in the house. Here are a couple of tips to help you achieve that.
Opt for a dehumidifier
The most efficient solution for getting rid of the mold and mildew from our house is to decrease the level of humidity in the air and the best way in which you can achieve that is by using a dehumidifier. These devices were specially designed for this purpose and while not all dehumidifiers are the same, they function pretty much the same. After all, their main role is to extract moisture from the air, but be sure to invest in a dehumidifier that will last for a long time; durability and efficient are both key words here. We suggest opting for a whole house dehumidifier. It can be expensive but it’s a good product that will last you a lifetime.
Use cleaning solutions
In order to get rid of mold spores, a great tip would be to use cleaning solutions. There’s no need to buy expensive products because you can improvise with what you already have in your house. For instance, did you know that bleach is very efficient at removing mold and mildew? All you have to do is mix one cup of bleach with one gallon of warm water and use this solution to clean the stains from the walls and furniture. After you’ve cleaned the mold or mildew stains use a clean cloth to dry the surface.
If you don’t want to use bleach or other types of cleaning solutions and you don’t necessarily have the means for investing in a dehumidifier, you can rest assured knowing that there are other alternative that are natural and more affordable. A good tip would be to use vinegar mixed with warm water for cleaning the stains caused by mold and mildew. You can use vinegar on its own by putting in into a spray bottle and spraying it on the surface. You can also use essential tea tree oil or grapefruit extract. Both of these methods are highly efficient at removing mold or mildew. Although tea tree oil is more expensive than vinegar or grapefruit extract, it’s said to be the best solution.